I’ve said this before, and I’ll say it again, when big name players are dealt, the return is never as good as people think. Rarely is it a win win for each team. Since the lock-out here are the major blockbuster deals and their returns.
- Bruins trade Joe Thornton to the Sharks for Marco Sturm, Brad Stuart and Wayne Primeau.
- Thrashers trade Dany Heatley to the Senators for Marian Hossa and Greg de Vries.
- Blues trade Chris Pronger to the Oilers for Eric Brewer, Jeff Woywitka, and Doug Lynch.
- Oilers trade Chris Pronger to the Ducks for Joffrey Lupol, Ladislav Smid, 2 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick.
- Ducks trade Chris Pronger to the Flyers for Joffrey Lupol, Luca Sbisa, 2 1st round picks, and future considerations.
- Flames trade Dion Phaneuf, Fredrick Sjostrom, and Keith Aulie to Maple Leafs for Ian White, Jamal Mayers, Nicklas Hagman and Matt Stajan.
- Lightning trade Brad Richards, and Johan Holmqvist to the Stars for Jussi Jokinen, Mike Smith, Jeff Halpern and a 4th round pick.
- Lightning trade Dan Boyle and Brad Lukowich to the Sharks for Matt Carle, Ty Wishart, 1st round pick and a 4th round pick.
- Senators trade Dany Heatley to Sharks for Milan Michalek, Jonathan Cheechoo and a 2nd round pick.
- Hurricanes trade Jack Johnson to the Kings for Oleg Tverdovsky, Eric Belanger and Tim Gleason.
- Kings trade Lubomir Visnovsky to the Oilers for Jarret Stoll and Matt Greene.
- Rangers trade Scott Gomez, Tom Pyatt, and Mike Busto to the Canadiens for Chris Higgins, Ryan McDonagh and Pavel Valentenko.
- Avalanche trade Ryan Smyth to the Kings for Kyle Quincy, Tom Preissing, and a 5th round pick.
- Panthers trade Olli Jokinen to the Coyotes for Keith Ballard, Nick Boynton and a 2nd round pick.
- Coyotes trade Olli Jokinen to the Flames for Matthew Lombardi, Brandon Prust and a 1st round pick.
- Panthers trade Roberto Luongo, Lukas Krajicek and a 6th round pick to the Canucks for Alex Auld, Todd Bertuzzi and Bryan Allen.
Now those were all guys under contract, and people here think anyone is willing to pay more than that for an unsigned Kovalchuk? Please. This is why I say go after him because it isn’t going to cost as much as we all think.
I don’t think any team that acquired the best player in the deal is kicking themselves in the head over it. That is my point. When you acquire elite or just below elite players, whatever you deal it doesn’t matter because unless it’s a massive overpayment, it’s usually nothing big.